26 January 2008

Liverpool 5-2 Havant & Waterlooville

Itandje
Finnan Skrtel Hyypia Riise
Pennant Lucas Mascherano Benayoun
Crouch Babel

Goals:
Paquette 8’
Lucas 27’
Skrtel (og) 31’
Benayoun 44’ 56’ 60’
Crouch 90’

In a way I’m glad I wasn’t subjected to this thanks to the first 45 minutes, but of course I’m not. It’s likely I would have broken my TV or something near it during the first half, but I’d still have taken my chances.

Of course I’m disappointed in what I read about the first half performance and having seen about 6 minutes worth of highlights, but there was always a chance something like this could happen. Havant was up for the match, didn’t sit back, and were able to take advantage of two nervous mistakes by a makeshift defense (including the fifth own goal of the season). Seriously, well done by them; they did themselves and their supporters very proud. Most of the Premier League doesn’t show that much attacking threat at Anfield.

Liverpool still equalized twice despite not having much rhythm about them, and got their act together in the second half, putting the game out of reach within 15 minutes of the restart through Benayoun’s second cup hat-trick. Crouch added more gloss in the 90th minute (and was offside), but I’m sure many aren’t satisfied with the result, which is fair after shipping two goals to non-league opposition in the first half.

Maybe because I didn’t see the match, (believe me, I was still furious going off of various text commentaries and delayed highlights), but in the end, I’m not that bothered. I’m worried about the defensive errors, as it’s not as if it was the first time they’ve appeared, but there was always the possibly Havant could spring a surprise with nothing to lose, and Liverpool had the class to come from behind twice and win by 3 in the end. It’s the magic of the FA Cup; I’ll be worried if trends continue in the Premiership or when it happens to a stronger XI.

As usual, I’ll have more to say if I see the full match, and in lieu of a full report, here’s a load of links:

Liverpoolfc.tv match review
Liverpoolfc.tv with Rafa
101 Great Goals: FA Cup 4th round
BBC match review
Sky Sports match review
Eurosport match review
RAWK post-match thread

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

There were streams available!!!
www.myp2p.eu

BackBergtt said...

thoughts on the rumors of moving for aimar? this one looks fairly plausible

plus theres rumors that bayern have locked up pandev which surely doesnt bode well for podolski, would love to have him but i dont think theyll let him go for less than 15