03 August 2008

FYI

I added a rotating quotes column to the sidebar (which took way too long for someone who considers himself fairly knowledgeable in CSS and HTML). There are 23 quotes so far:

• 'The trouble with referees is that they know the rules, but they don't know the game."
• "If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later."
• "Anyone who doesn't learn from Ian Rush needs shooting."
• "Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
• "I'd kick my own brother if necessary... it's what being a professional footballer is all about."
• "Of course I didn't take my wife to see Rochdale as an anniversary present, it was her birthday. Would I have got married in the football season? Anyway, it was Rochdale reserves."
• "If you are first you are first. If you are second you are nothing."
• "Just go out and drop a few hand grenades all over the place, son."
• "Laddie, I never drop players, I only make changes."
• "At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques."
• "If a player is not interfering with play or seeking to gain an advantage, then he should be."
• "Take that bandage off. And what do you mean about YOUR knee? It's Liverpool's knee!"
• "Remember Grobbelaar and the rubbery legs of 84 - and do the same. Dance, do anything, put them off!"
• "We were sitting in the dressing room and we could clearly hear thousands of fans singing You'll Never Walk Alone. Can you imagine how that felt? We were 3-0 down in the Champions League final and all we could hear were 45,000 people letting us know they still believed in us."
• "Who's bigger than Liverpool?"
• "The problem with you, son, is that all your brains are in your head."
• "I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I'd break my wife's legs if I played against her, but I\'d never cheat her."
• "Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass. It is terribly simple."
• "In my time at Anfield we always said we had the best two teams on Merseyside: Liverpool and Liverpool reserves."
• "You son, could start a riot in a graveyard."
• "For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side."
• "A football team is like a piano. You need eight men to carry it and three who can play the damn thing."
• 'Two European Cup finals in three years — not bad for a 'little club.' "

If you can think of any quotes to add (or know how I can edit the font color within the javascript widget and not have to create a variable in the template! figured that one out), please post them in the comments or email me.

Update:
Added a few more, and added who said them (as was pointed out to me, some may not recognize all the quotes, even if I do). In adding the names, I noticed there's approximately 18x more from Shankly than anyone else. Oh well; what can I say, the man was quotable.

• "When you need someone to stand up and be counted, to pull an absolute rabbit from a hat, Steven Gerrard has done just that… we know the name, son!" - Martin Tyler
• "Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that." - Bill Shankly
• "How could I leave after a night like that? It was the greatest night of my life." - Steven Gerrard
• ""Just tell them I completely disagree with everything they say." - Shankly to Italian Journalists

7 comments :

iskoppa said...

"As I come here to Liverpool and to Anfield I have drummed it into our players time and again, they are privileged to play for you and if you did not believe me! Do you believe me now?"

BackBergtt said...

One of the things I keep reminding players is that when you're lost in a fog, you must stick together. Then you don't get lost. If there's a secret about Liverpool, that's it.

This is the second time I've beaten the Germans here... the first time was in 1944. I drove into Rome on a tank when the city was liberated.
(rome 77)

both from paisley

nate said...

I made some minor grammatical changes to the 'do you believe me now" quote (I couldn't find confirmation, but I think this way is right, but if I'm wrong, I'll gladly change it), but that and georger's first paisley quote have been added.

I appreciate the thought on the second, Mike, but I didn't think it fit in with the theme of the others.

iskoppa said...

No worries Nate, grammer was never one of my strong points! Just glad you have included it!

Anonymous said...

A couple from Houllier:

"We don't have any splits here. The players country is Liverpool Football Club and their language is football."

"Our job is to make the fans happy. When we win, 45,000 people go home happy. When we lose, it not only affects them, it affects their cats."

BackBergtt said...

oh man, what a goal from alonso.

DO NOT SELL HIM

BackBergtt said...

man the lack of quality streams is killing me. havent had a sopcast one work in months and all the shockwave ones have to buffer every ten seconds because the server is overloaded by the retards in the chatroom next to the game.