• 'The trouble with referees is that they know the rules, but they don't know the game."
• "If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later."
• "Anyone who doesn't learn from Ian Rush needs shooting."
• "Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
• "I'd kick my own brother if necessary... it's what being a professional footballer is all about."
• "Of course I didn't take my wife to see Rochdale as an anniversary present, it was her birthday. Would I have got married in the football season? Anyway, it was Rochdale reserves."
• "If you are first you are first. If you are second you are nothing."
• "Just go out and drop a few hand grenades all over the place, son."
• "Laddie, I never drop players, I only make changes."
• "At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques."
• "If a player is not interfering with play or seeking to gain an advantage, then he should be."
• "Take that bandage off. And what do you mean about YOUR knee? It's Liverpool's knee!"
• "Remember Grobbelaar and the rubbery legs of 84 - and do the same. Dance, do anything, put them off!"
• "We were sitting in the dressing room and we could clearly hear thousands of fans singing You'll Never Walk Alone. Can you imagine how that felt? We were 3-0 down in the Champions League final and all we could hear were 45,000 people letting us know they still believed in us."
• "Who's bigger than Liverpool?"
• "The problem with you, son, is that all your brains are in your head."
• "I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I'd break my wife's legs if I played against her, but I\'d never cheat her."
• "Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass. It is terribly simple."
• "In my time at Anfield we always said we had the best two teams on Merseyside: Liverpool and Liverpool reserves."
• "You son, could start a riot in a graveyard."
• "For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side."
• "A football team is like a piano. You need eight men to carry it and three who can play the damn thing."
• 'Two European Cup finals in three years — not bad for a 'little club.' "
If you can think of any quotes to add (
Added a few more, and added who said them (as was pointed out to me, some may not recognize all the quotes, even if I do). In adding the names, I noticed there's approximately 18x more from Shankly than anyone else. Oh well; what can I say, the man was quotable.
• "When you need someone to stand up and be counted, to pull an absolute rabbit from a hat, Steven Gerrard has done just that… we know the name, son!" - Martin Tyler
• "Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that." - Bill Shankly
• "How could I leave after a night like that? It was the greatest night of my life." - Steven Gerrard
• ""Just tell them I completely disagree with everything they say." - Shankly to Italian Journalists