01 August 2009

To Lucas or Not To Lucas

Okay, so I don't want to single out Marlon (second time that I've posted because of one of your comments!), but I think this sentiment deserves to be here rather than subsumed beneath 15 previous comments.
At this point I'd rather see Lucas come good then seeing a new signing flourish in our midfield.
I'm doing my utmost to not assume Alonso's definitely departing, but it's difficult. And the discussion over his possible replacement is a valid one, as much as I don't really desire to tackle the issue.

But I agree with the above comment, and for two reasons – but I'm still a little nervous about him as an everyday player, as I am about pretty much every player until they establish themselves.

One, I've been underwhelmed by the names mooted as replacements. Some are good players – even potentially Liverpool-quality – but most would necessitate a change in system (which I don't want to happen, as it'd probably break up the Gerrard/Torres partnership). And none brings to the table what Alonso can.

Two, Lucas knows Benitez's system having been a Liverpool player for two full seasons, and has turned in some good performances against big teams (United, Inter, Chelsea). And while he's had his scapegoat moments (Wigan and Everton during the dire winter stretch last season), he's also consistently improved during his tenure. And he's only 22 years old.

But, I'm admittedly still a bit wary of the Masch/Lucas pairing against the likes of Stoke and Birmingham (among others). And I find that tough to reconcile with my firm belief in the 4-2-3-1 and the Gerrard/Torres pairing.

Hopefully, this will all be moot, but while hope springs eternal, the spring often runs dry.

8 comments :

Marlon said...

I long ago accepted the fact that I am a thought provoking individual.

P.Heron said...

To Lucas....

BackBergtt said...

To not Cattermole is my only concern at this point.

Unknown said...

wonderful. to Lucas indeed. I suspected that the haircut would renew his game and so far...

seriously, though i think he hasn't had the room to develop his own game. he was expected to "fill in" for alonso and play the same game. Now is the time for him to make the position his and bring his own flair to it instead of trying to play alonso's game.

Manton said...

I wouldn't be surprised to see him step up - at all. While everyone rides the boy (RAWK most brutally), he seems to have solid games and then one big, stupid blight fouls it all up and everyone throws out the previous 74 minutes and 58 seconds. He has good instincts and is starting to find ways to push the ball around ; surely coming of age with The Best Midfield in the Wooo-oooorrrr-ooorrrld helped immensely.

I think this the season where he comes of age, even if it's out of necessity.

acbleach said...

@ Mike Georger: Cattermole has a better name than Lucas. And that's all.

Matt said...

Not to Lucas.

I remain unconvinced he can rise to first team regular in Rafa's system. Those scapegoat moments are telling. He finds himself out of position, takes bad angles, has poor vision, and his instincts are jittery. After two years in the system - and loads of opportunities - he is still inconsistent.

I like his work rate and his flashes are worthy of spot appearances, but he'd more likely make his bones in Serie A than the Prem.

And while there may not be a clear alternative to Xabi on the market, Lucas has never strived to that alternative either.

Marlon said...

Let's wait and see what he does in an hour.